There’s no question that owning a pickup truck is tons of fun—literally. But if we’re being honest, the real fun begins when you start adding all the bells and whistles. Not sure where to start? This article will walk you through the priorities, from the very first and most rewarding accessory to get and then down from there in the order of importance. Here’s a quick overview:
- Smartphone Mounts
- Remote Start System
- Backup Camera
- Bed Liners
- Dash Cams
- First Aid Kits
- Truck Bed Tents
- Tonneau Covers
- Custom Floor Mats
- Seat Covers
- LED Light Kits
Now that you’ve got a starting point for your next accessory investment, let’s break down these must-haves into digestible categories. You’ll learn what each accessory is, why it’s useful, and how it can make your truck the envy of every other vehicle on the road.
Bid farewell to the tediousness of reverse parking. Backup cameras offer a clear visual of the area behind your vehicle. They improve your line of sight and make parking less of a hassle, all while decreasing the chances of a fender bender.
- Impact: Enhances safety by providing a clear view of the rear, helping to avoid collisions during reversing.
- Reward: Peace of mind while parking or reversing in tight spaces.
Think of dash cams as your truck’s personal courtroom reporter, capturing each driving moment with precision. If you’re involved in a collision or other road incident, the dash cam footage can save you from lengthy legal disputes and potential headaches.
- Impact: Records real-time events, which can be crucial in case of accidents or disputes.
- Reward: Could potentially save one from legal complications.
First Aid Kits
Having a first aid kit isn’t just a good idea—it’s essential. Think of it as your portable lifeline, ready to lend a hand for those minor scrapes or to buy you crucial time until the professionals can take over. Whether it’s a day trip or a camping expedition, pack a first aid kit. It’s as indispensable as your spare tire.
- Impact: Essential in case of emergencies for providing basic medical aid.
- Reward: Safety and readiness for unexpected accidents.
Convenience and Utility Accessories
Remote Start Systems
Coming to a warm or cool truck, depending on the season, is a luxury you can afford with remote start systems. Start your vehicle while you’re still inside your house, setting the internal temperature to your liking before you even step in.
- Impact: Allows the driver to start the vehicle remotely, warming it up on cold days or cooling it down on hot days before getting in.
- Reward: Comfort and convenience.
Distracted driving? Those days are over. Smartphone mounts anchor your device in a convenient location, allowing you to focus on the road while easily accessing your GPS or answering calls via speaker.
- Impact: Helps in conveniently accessing the smartphone for navigation or music without getting distracted while driving.
- Reward: Safer and more enjoyable drives.
You never know when you might need a wrench or a screwdriver. Toolboxes keep all your instruments organized and within arm’s reach. Plus, they can be securely locked, so you can leave your truck without worrying about sticky fingers.
- Impact: Keeps necessary tools organized and readily accessible.
- Reward: Saves time and avoids the hassle in case of a breakdown or necessary repairs.
Comfort and Aesthetic Accessories
Custom Floor Mats
Generic floor mats serve their purpose, but let’s face it: they often look plain and boring. Custom floor mats provide dual benefits. First, they protect the interior flooring. And second, they elevate the aesthetic of your truck’s interior.
- Impact: Protects the vehicle’s floor from dirt, water, and other damages, while adding a customized look.
- Reward: Maintains cleanliness and potentially increases the vehicle’s resale value.
Spills and dirt happen to the best of us, but seat covers act as your upholstery’s bodyguard. These handy accessories keep your seats in pristine condition while injecting a dose of flair into the truck’s interior. They’re especially perfect if you have small children or pets.
- Impact: Protects the seats from spills, dirt, and tears, while potentially enhancing comfort.
- Reward: Prolonged lifespan of the vehicle’s seats and improved aesthetics.
LED Light Kits
Sure, they’re visually impressive, but LED light kits aren’t just for show. Quality lighting improves visibility, making your nighttime excursions safer and more enjoyable. If you want a unique look that serves a greater purpose, LED lights are the way to go.
- Impact: Enhances visibility during night driving and adds a modern aesthetic to the truck.
- Reward: Safety through better lighting and a customized, stylish look.
Truck Bed-Related Accessories
The sound of objects colliding with the bare surface of your truck bed is enough to make you wince. Bed liners step up to alleviate that problem. These protective layers absorb those hard hits, shielding your truck bed from unsightly dents and scuffs. They also provide a non-slip surface, which makes cleaning a snap.
- Impact: Protects the truck bed from scratches, dents, and corrosion.
- Reward: Maintains the truck bed in good condition, which can enhance the resale value.
Wind resistance is nobody’s friend when it comes to keeping your cargo in place. Tonneau covers tackle this issue, making sure your belongings remain securely inside the truck bed. They also protect your items from weather conditions and unwanted attention.
- Impact: Protects the cargo in the truck bed from theft and environmental elements.
- Reward: Secure and dry storage space for cargo.
Truck Bed Tents
Why splurge on hotel rooms when the bed of your truck can be transformed into a snug sleeping spot? Truck bed tents make it possible, creating a comfortable sleeping area that’s perfect for last-minute camping trips or long drives.
- Impact: Facilitates camping and sleeping arrangements directly in the truck bed.
- Reward: Convenient for outdoor adventures and travel.
Buyer’s Guide: Choosing Wisely
You’re ready to enhance your truck with some choice accessories. You’ve made a smart decision. But while it’s tempting to start filling up your digital cart, there are a few key elements to consider.
Navigating the maze of options becomes a lot smoother when you’re equipped with the right information. Our buyer’s guide is the proverbial flashlight in the dark, illuminating your path to smart and savvy purchases.
Compatibility with Different Truck Models
First things first. Ensure that the accessory you have your eye on matches the specifications of your truck model. Accessory specifications are not universal. What works for a Toyota Tacoma may not suit a Chevy Silverado. Therefore, you should always consult the manufacturer’s guidelines for accurate compatibility information.
Next, let’s talk about installation. Some accessories are straightforward to install and require only the most basic tools. Others could demand more specialized skills or even a professional for proper installation.
Be mindful of your own skill level and the tools you have at hand. And don’t forget to check if you need to add professional installation costs to your budget. It’s another expense, sure. But it could ultimately save you money in the long run by letting a pro install the accessory.
Finally, be budget-conscious. While it’s tempting to equate price with quality, that’s not always the case. There are cost-effective options that don’t compromise on durability or performance. The best way to tell?
Doing your due diligence can be the difference between a well-spent dollar and buyer’s remorse. Take the time to read reviews and research your options.
What you’re aiming for is that sweet spot where cost and quality shake hands, not just for your truck’s sake but for your bank account, too. Consider this guide your road map to making a decision you won’t regret.
The right accessories can transform your truck from a simple vehicle into a one-of-a-kind ride. Whether it’s ensuring safety with dash cams and first aid kits or enhancing utility with toolboxes and tonneau covers, each accessory adds a layer of functionality and convenience to your drive.
Valik loves tinkering in the garage and is currently restoring a 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 truck. He also writes about the progress on this blog. When not in the garage, Valik is also a web developer and a blogger. I know, strange, a hand in two completely different worlds. And that is the way he likes to keep it.